Thursday, June 24, 2010

S1E3 - Is There A Secret Cold War Between Marrieds and Singles?

You see that lush green lawn over there? Don't you just want to defecate on it?

That's how I see things between the singles and the marrieds. The marrieds want to be single so they gloat about having that other half. The singles want that other half but boasts of great random sexual partners they are enjoying weekly. 

Just last week, 3 friends and I met up for a little get together. Two were Marrieds with kids and then there was... that other two. As the Marrieds went on and on about their husbands and kids, we sat there communicating with our eyes like a bad hookup at a bar. After 40 minutes of diaper comparisons and whose in laws are dumber than the other, I felt like I was in Germany. What the hell are these people talking about? We had to break this language barrier by reminding them of our presence. Said friend and I ended up taking a long stroll to a place where it is filled with shit we actually understood - the restroom.

So why the resentment? We could have just sat there and nodded politely as we wonder if Meredith Grey will die in the next season of Grey's Anatomy. I mean, it IS Grey's anatomy... isn't it? I digress. Could it be that we are jealous? We scoff in disgust at the subject of marriage and babies, but deep down we probably do want that stability. As for me, I envy the ones who are so certain about who they want to spend the rest of their lives with.

Now, same lawn, different coordinates.

Then, I receive comments such as "If I were you, I would have done so and so" or "If I were you, I would do such and such". It might come across as arrogant at first. Just because you're a mother now does not give you the right to mother me. I never held my mother's hair back as she puked all over my 200 dollar pair of heels. However, if you read into it, they envy us too. Another Marrieds friend of mine has a list of what she would have done if she weren't tied down. The Bitch-I'm-Better-Than-You in me picked up an envious tone right away. So, as much as they are certain and contented with the life they have, there's always that what if.

What if I didn't marry this bastard and traveled the world?
What if he wore a condom and we didn't have a child and I had taken that job?
What if I waited, would someone better have come along?


What if I married him, would I be less miserable than I am now?
What if I'm married now and didn't have to face loser after loser?

So the next time you see a helicopter tour, take it. Look at that lawn from a birds' eye view. You'll see that it is the same shade of green. The only difference is, when you're standing on either side, you cast a shadow and things might not seem as bright as you'd like it to be, literally. It might even blind certain aspects, so to speak. But trust me, try walking over to the other side of that lawn. That shadow? It ain't going no where.

No comments:

Post a Comment